Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"She"

So my settings are totally off in these pictures but that is not the point. He had just gotten his hair cut (for the 2nd time) the day this picture was taken. I thought it turned out pretty adorable...
He was wearing green pants, a shirt full of red tractors, corn, trees, cows, horses, etc. and red Keds...
The hair was considerably shorter than it was when we entered Snip Its...
Yet he was still referred to as "she" 2 times that day!!!
The other day, he was wearing a blue long sleeved polo shirt, blue and white gingham pants and sky blue Riley Roo shoes. The child was practically BLUE from head to toe. A stranger passed us as we sat eating our cupcakes on the side of the street and she says, "Oh, I bet SHE loves eating that!!!"
"Yes, she does..."
Seriously? Does he look like a girl? There is no smocking on his chest. There is no pink. What it the deal? Do I need to shave his head and dress him in camo? Or have "BOY" tattooed on his forehead.
Of course I don't want to embarrass anyone so I just go along with it. But really? Does he not LOOK like a boy??

5 comments:

kelly w said...

all 3 of my boys can be *dripping* in blue from head to toe, including blankets, and they are referred to as girls. as recently as this summer, my FOUR year old was called a girl at walmart. people are stupid :) seriously, though. no situational awareness!!! but, i take it as a compliment that they are so pretty that they are mistaken for a girl :) enjoying your frequent posts!!!

Sarah said...

He looks all boy to me!

Sonja said...

Those are probably the same THREE people that have asked me point blank if ELAINA is a girl or a boy. Huh?? Is the bow in her hair throwing you off or what? Some folks just aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.....

Jill Fields said...

I know! Ann Cortner can be head to toe pink sitting in her cushy pink carseat and people will still say what a cute little boy! Let's start a revolution!

Anne said...

When Alexander was younger, I got lots of comments about 'her' being pretty, having nice skin, etc. He was always in boy clothes, usually with tractors or bugs on them. I don't even get it why people can't tell! If I can't tell (because a kid is wearing yellow), I say something like, "your little one is so sweet." Keeps it simple and I don't embarrass anyone. Crosby is a very handsome boy and that's all you need to worry about! :)