Monday, December 13, 2010

Mondays with Crosby

At 11:24 am Crosby Fox turned 1 year and 50 weeks old!!! Yep. It is about that time of year. The time of year I start crying at the drop of a hat. I look back at old pictures and bawl my eyes out. I sit wondering where time has gone. How did we get to this place? I find myself dreaming of turning back to clock and holding my tiny baby one more time. His birthday was the greatest day of my life. I could think on that day over and over and over. Then I fall into a pity party, grumbling over the that fact that he may very well be our last babe and wishing that our circumstances wouldn't make that so. Why can't it just be easy? Then I wipe my eyes, pick myself up from the couch, or chair or bed and find my cuddle bug, who doesn't really like to cuddle, and force him into my arms. I squeeze him REEEEEAL tight for just a second and then put him back down, smile and count my blessings. Then I look at another picture later and it all happens again. I guess I should start preparing for this every year...

Last year we sat with Santa at Otter Creek's Family Christmas Breakfast. We did the same this year. Although the the little one is a lot bigger, Santa hasn't changed ONE BIT... I am not sure what Crosby was saying to Santa, but my guess is it had something to do with a vehicle of some sort. They look like pretty tight so maybe he will get his wish...
Any ideas as to what this might be???
Yea. It is 4 bubbas all melted into one. I decided to sterilize them Saturday night. I headed upstairs to play with the boy. Some while later, I noticed a burning smell. And it hit me...BUBBAS!!!!! I took off running down the stairs to find this wad of plastic sitting in the bottom of my pan. Further proof that I have ADD, but that is another story. Anyway, I got the harebrained idea that it would be the perfect time to attempt Operation "Bye Bye Bubba". I showed the wad to Crosby and went on and on about how bubbas were broken, and nasty and went bye bye. He kept repeating "Bubba bye bye" to me, kind of like he got it. Then it came time for bed. I normally read Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You and the Bible and he sits rather quietly through all three. He could not stay focused on the books, got distracted and talked the entire time. When we said prayers, he kept fidgeting with his hands and talking, smacking his lips and swallowing over and over. Then I tried to put him in bed. I even let him sleep with his match box cars. Pretty quickly, he started crying for bubba. I let it go for 5 minutes or so and went back in to soothe him with no luck. So we rocked some more. This time he was quite, but he continued to smack and swallow and fidget. It was like he didn't know what to do with his mouth and hands. He rubbed his fingers together. Reached up over his head. Reached behind his back. And swallowed some more. Normally, when bubba goes in the mouth, he starts rubbing his sleeve. He couldn't even do it without bubba. Just pitiful, I tell you. I can't begin to describe how restless he was but it was enough to break my heart. I tried laying him down one more time but he cried again. When I went back in and started to rock him, only to see him struggle to settle himself in, I caved. I yelled for Blake to bring up one of the 12 or so remaining bubbas lying around the house. The smile on Crosby's face was to die for. When he saw his daddy enter the room with a bubba in hand he was the happiest boy in the world. He cuddled right up to me, closed those sweet eyes and was ready for bed. I put him in his bed and he was out like a light. Needless to say, I spent the next hour all teary and emotional. I wasn't ready. He wasn't ready. It was a complete "Bubba Bye Bye" bust. And let me tell you I am just fine with it! So is Crosby! Maybe we will try that one again in a few months.

We got a pretty, fluffy, white surprise at our house on Sunday afternoon! SNOW!!! Too bad Crosby napped so long that we barely got to play in it. We took him out in the sled and he seemed to like it...

It was hard to take a picture of the house but you can tell the yard was covered!
Somebody was not happy when we took him out of the wagon. He did not want to walk in the snow...
But I had to keep him out in it long enough for a few pictures! Here's the best one I could get of Blake and Crosby...
Crosby and his momma...
Sitting by Santa at the neighbors house! Hope that was okay!!! :) He loves Santa, although you can't tell by that face...
My boys...
Another attempt to get a picture of the house at night...
It looked so pretty first thing this morning. Well, at 8:30 anyway! Too bad the snow had already started to melt...
Good ole Nugget got to play out in it for a little while. He doesn't care much for snow. It gets his feet wet..
What do most people do when it snows? Mow the grass, right?
At least that's what Crosby heard...
He looked so cute all padded up in a million layers. Poor thing could barely move. That's one way to keep him in the yard..
He saw this sign in another neighbors yard and needed to take a closer look. He would not look at me so we could take a picture of him and his best pal Mickey. Figures...
Big feet. Little feet. So sweet...
Up close...
Cutie pie...
Mr. Danny pulled out the blower so Crosby wanted to help out with his mower!!! I guess some people do use lawn equipment when it snows. Crosby knows something I don't...
We finally got back inside and took off all the layers. Hat, mittens, coat and boots...off!
Daddy's old overalls....off!
Sweater and pants off...
Not wanting to participate...
Turtleneck...off!
One piece PJ's...off!
Crosby's pile of layers minus the PJ's he was still wearing!
We spent more time getting dressed and undressed than we did playing in the snow!
Who's ready for Spring?? I am!

3 comments:

Jill Fields said...

Hurray for a Mama who trusts her instincts more than what the "books" say!

Anonymous said...

The second pic of him and santa is so christmas card material!!!! oh my goodness he is gosh darn cute! I also love his overalls ; )

Bree

Liz, Dave et al said...

I laughed so much when i saw the melted bubba picture! I love that you tried and failed to get him to give up.... i remember it well.... Oscar tried a few times and i couldn't bear the sadness either so it lasted until he was 5! I don't care he was happy..... Merry christmas from Lizzie, England