Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What I would have said...

had a baby not been born!!! ;-)


The week was a crazy one.  The madness technically started just before last week's post.  Sunday afternoon, as a matter of fact.  I didn't mention it last Monday because I didn't think there was an issue.  It wasn't until Monday night that I realized there actually was a problem.  Let me back up so this makes sense...

Sunday night, we loaded up and rolled the Sliver Bullet (my Honda Accord) out of the garage, headed toward the Compton's.  We were planning to carpool with them to small group.  Before we could even put the car in drive to start down the driveway, a "pop" and lots of smoke came from the underneath the hood.  That is never a good sign!!!  Being the mechanics we are, we popped the hood to "take a look".  All we could find was a random paper towel near the air compressor.  Surely that couldn't have been the problem?  We decided to go ahead and drive it to see what would happen because that is the safe thing to do, right? (at least we were only going 5 miles, tops)  There was no problem the whole way there and back.  So, maybe we are fine?!?  The next morning, I drove it to take Crosby to school (1 mile away) and noticed the AC was a tad slow to kick on but no other issues.  Once the AC was on, it seemed to cool like normal.  So maybe we are good there.  After dropping the little man off, I drove it to trusty ole McDuffee's and had them "take a look".  Doug could see nothing dangerous or concerning without taking her apart.  So, I crossed my fingers and headed out again.  Anne Claire and the kiddos joined me on my first trip to Green Hills Mall in 3+ months!  Ahhh, the new Nordstrom is just lovely...  Anyway, after a little browsing and lunch, we headed our separate ways.  As I was headed to pick up Crosby, I noticed a little problem.  It started to get really steamy in the car.  Here I am 37 weeks pregnant, it is 80+ degrees outside, and it appears my AC actually IS on it's way out!!!  Talk about panic!!  How can we bring home a baby (if she ever comes) in a car with no AC???  We were planning to get a newer car in the next year or so.  But not right now!!  One new thing at a time, please... 

After doing the math, it really made no sense to spend money fixing a car that wasn't worth much more than we would have to put into it!  So, we made the decision to start looking for that upgrade a little early.  YIKES!!!  Now, don't get me wrong, I love cars.  I talk about wanting a newer one all of the time. I constantly point out my favorites while we drive around town.  But when you get down to actually purchasing, and subsequently paying for that car, no thanks.  I don't want to pay for one!  I prefer the payment free life.

On to Tuesday. Blake was off so we dropped the Silver Bullet back by McDuffee's and let them do a little more investigation.  I had my 37 week appointment that afternoon so we timed things to allow for a few pit stops along the way.  First to Lonnie Young to purchase sandals for the little man for summer.  The boy is in a size NINE shoe now.  Granted the 9 seems a wee bit big.  However, they are the experts on children's feet so we will go with what they say.  After he got his fitting, Crosby was proud to wear his new kicks.  I said they would be perfect for a picture with the Easter bunny.  Crosby clammed up and claimed he did not want to see the bunny this year.  I was afraid it wasn't going to happen and Blake was ready to abort the mission.  I insisted we go to the mall and give it a try.  Wouldn't you know, we walked up to the chair, reintroduced the old friends, and Crosby was good to go...


Being that I was too lazy to scan this in, I had to post a picture of the picture taken with my phone.  He sat with him like they were BFFs.  He did great!  The picture cracks me up.  I don't know if you can tell it or not, but Crosby looks about 10 pounds heavier and about 4 years older!  I suppose that makes his sandals look more like a size 12.  Crazy...

After the bunny stop, we headed to my appointment.  According to Dr. B, I finally made a little progress.  Seriously?  Who would have thought I would be at 37 weeks and only "a little" progress.  1 cm and 50% effaced.  I really had to laugh when he mentioned setting an induction date!!!!  Mercy me!  After months of bed rest, I might have to be induced???  If she doesn't come before the 11th, the plan is to coax her out.  Other than taking extra folic acid and a baby aspirin, the whole clotting issue has not been a major concern with this pregnancy.  But, apparently, this late in the game, there is some concern about the function of the placenta and increased risk for clotting.  So, Dr. B wants me to have an ultrasound, next week, at 38 weeks to see how the placenta looks.  If all is well, we will wait until 39 weeks and induce if she had not made an appearance.  Technically she will be born at 39 weeks and 2 days.  Have I mentioned how crazy it is to know that induction is in my near future if Miss Priss stays put???  Who would've thought.

As we were leaving my appointment, we got the call confirming what we expected.  The AC was gone in the Silver Bullet.  Blake and I decided to part ways after picking up the car.  I would visit a few car lots while he headed home with Crosby.  I know, seems a bit backwards.  But like I said, I do love cars and had a few things I really wanted to get with an upgrade.  Hellos quad seating...

To make a super long car shopping story short (just remember 37+ weeks pregnant and upper 80 degree weather with no AC...), we came home with a new vehicle Thursday night.  A gently used '09 Toyotal Highlander with 19,000 ish miles on it.  Oh my goodness.  Our car lovin' boy was so supper excited...

Although he did shed a tear when we had to leave the Sliver Bullet behind.  I suppose I need a name for the Highlander.  Seeing how our daughter remains nameless, I highly doubt I will come up with something for her right now!  In due time.  She is worthy of a name.  We are loving the way she rides.  Crosby is loving all the new buttons he can push when we turn our heads!  I don't want to pay for her or the gas she will consume.  But is sure is nice to have a functional AC in my current condition!

On Friday, Crosby had his school Easter egg hunt.  I was able to get him to school on time (in the new car... ;-) ) but I managed to forget his eggs and basket.  I ran to Kroger and came back with stuffed and taped eggs.  I would bring the basket just before the hunt and all would be well!

Here is Crosby with his best buddy Isabella.  Her mommy has taken Crosby to and from school nearly every day since I went on bed rest.  How precious is that.  These two love each other...
They were waiting in line for their school Easter picture.  Crosby's turned out like this...
Again, taken with my phone because I am lazy!  I think it turned out pretty sweet!  Then it was time for the hunt.  It was at that point I realized I forgot the basket, again!  Can you say pregnancy brain???  Thankfully, they had a few extra in the class that he was able to pick from!

Getting ready to let the kiddos run wild...
And he takes off...
Doing great so far...

So proud of his loot!  

Pathetic attempt at a class picture.  The sun was shining directly in their eyes so I have to give them some credit. And they had baskets full of eggs!!!
All was well until I tried to leave.  Like old times, Crosby melted down.  He really wanted me to stay and play with him on the playground.  Break my heart.  He wanted me to pick him up and hold him.  What I would give to hold my boy.  I don't know what my back would do if I attempted that one.  I am positive it wouldn't be pretty.

My sweet boy was all about talking to Baby Sister this week.  He said the sweetest thing I have ever heard...

"Come out baby sister.  We love you!!!"
I said it was neat how we could already love someone we haven't even met.  He said, "Yeah, it is!"

Crosby talking to my "big ole belly"


No comments: