Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Oh Glorious Day

"The HAPPIEST days are when babies come."

I would have to agree.  April 2, 2012 would definitely be one of the happiest days of my life.  At 1:03 pm, we finally met our sweet baby girl, Jane Claire.  The days since her arrival have been a bit of a blur.  I have said it before and I will say it again.  Time goes by waaaaay to fast...

I figure I should write this down before the details begin to fade.  Details I never want to forget...

It all started Sunday, April 1st.  Like old times, Blake, Crosby and I went to church as a family of 3.  After lunch, we decided to take a trip to Opry Mills.  It was my idea.  I was hoping I could encourage contractions by taking a stroll.  Although at 37 weeks pregnant, my sacroiliac joint was giving me fits and did not allow for walking too far or very fast!  I would push through!  LeAnne was staying with us for a few days so she gladly joined us on the outing.  What I failed to factor in was the fact that it was the grand reopening of Opry Mills since the flood of 2010.  A LOT of other people had the same plans we did.  Only they weren't all pregnant.  LeAnne and I visited girly stores while Blake and Crosby hung out at Bass Pro Shop, one of their favorites.  Just like I hoped, I started feeling contractions pick up a bit.  I walked until I could barely pick my right leg up anymore (SI joint pain) before making the decision to head back home.  

I continued to feel contractions the rest of the afternoon but nothing too consistent or intense.  Around 8:00, they started to come closer together.  But how many times had this happened in the past few months?!?  I still didn't give it much thought.  Then I realized I was have contractions ever 2-4 minutes. I let that go on for about 3 hours before calling Dr. B.  I know, it is longer than the average Joe would go but I am no where close to being average when it comes to pregnancy.  Around 11:00, I made the call.  He told me to head to labor and delivery!!  We finalized the list of things we wanted to take with us, packed up the new car and headed toward Baptist.  Before we left, I had to sneak into sleeping Crosby's room and kiss his sweet face one more time.  He woke up briefly and I told him how much I loved him.  He answered back with an, "I love you, too" and drifted back to sleep. Tears started flowing.  My precious boy...

With Crosby tucked in bed and LeAnne with him, it was a smooth transition getting out the door and on our way.  We arrived to Baptist around midnight, registered at the front desk and were taken to a room.  They started my IV and got me hooked up to the monitors.  Sure enough, every 2 minutes, I was having contractions!  That is always a good sign.  The nurse checked me and said I was 2-3 centimeters, which was progress from Tuesday.  My contractions continued but had not picked up in their intensity.  So, we got settled into the room and attempted to rest while we could.  Blake managed to follow through with that plan. I, on the other hand, was no where near sleep!  I guess I was too excited to meet our little girl. 

Fast forward to 4:30 am. I dozed for 30 minutes or so and woke up to see the monitor flatlined.  No contractions.  What?  Thanks to all of the extra fluid, the ole uterus decided to take a rest.  Not good when you are wanting to have a baby!  The nurse checked me again around 6:00 only to find me still at 2-3 centimeters.  Great!!!  What did this mean?  Dr. B would be in at any time. Would he send me home?  Have mercy...

I was glad to hear his voice after a gentle knock on the door.  Thankfully, he had no plans of sending me home.  He wanted to start Pitocin to start contractions back up and to get things into a regular pattern again.  He said he would be back around 11and if all was going well, he would break my water.    At that point, I decided I should make sure and get my epidural BEFORE he came back.  10:30 was my plan.  Too bad 10:30 came and my nurse had to leave the floor for an emergency c-section!  Dr. B showed up to break my water BEFORE I got my epidural.  That was...pleasant.  (note sarcasm)  Thankfully he had anesthesia come in for me.  My pain level was only a 2-3 at that point so I felt we were still good.  That was until I sat on the side of the bed and the anesthesiologist started the "procedure".  The ole uterus decided it would be a good time to kick it into high gear!  My pain quickly jumped to a 7 or 8.  Holy Moly!!  I was ready to get that catheter placed so the meds could take effect.  Unfortunately, it took a good 20 minutes before they could catch the meds up to my pain level!  Yikes.  But once I was all dosed up, life was good again.  The nurse checked me again and I was at 5-6 centimeters!  Woah!  Things really seemed to be moving fast.  

I had 30-45 minutes of calm before I noticed pain on my right side.  It quickly went from 0/10 to 10/10 and I started to panic.  The nurse checked me to find that I was 9, almost 10 centimeters dilated and things were about to happen!!  Heavens to Betsy something had to be done about that right side.  Thank goodness anesthesia was near by.  They dosed me up with all kinds of good stuff.  Within 30 minutes, I was numb, they were setting the room up for delivery and Dr. B walked into the door.  It was really about to happen!!!!    

And happen it did!  All it took was 2 contractions and Jane Claire Malone was placed on my chest.  What an amazing feeling it was to see my sweet girl's face.  I finally had a 7 pound 2 ounce, 19.5 inch daughter who was alive and healthy!!  Praise the Lord...

Excited to see meet our little one...
Holding the necklace created from all the beads given to me at my Blessingway...
Seeing Jane Claire for the first time...
Baby Girl getting all cleaned up...
I can't believe we have a 7 pound 2 ounce baby!!!
Jane Claire with her proud parents...
Sweet Jane Claire, covered with Angel Kisses!  How fitting.  It makes me smile to imagine Finley and Caroline kissing her all over just for us!!!  This is one loved baby for sure... 
Melt my heart...
Blake bringing Crosby to meet his sister for the first time...
Me seeing Crosby...
Ready to meet his sister...
Family of 4 together for the first time!!!
Oh glorious day!!!
Sweet big brother...
Just precious...
The big brother holding his little sister for the very first time...
Soooo proud...
Jane Claire knew just how to win her brother over.  She had a special gift for him when she arrived...a car wash!!  Crosby was THRILLED! ;-)
On a sad note...we used Blake's phone to make a video of their first meeting.  I saw bits and pieces of it and was excited to sit down and watch the whole thing.  Unfortunately, Blake realized all the pictures and videos on his phone had been deleted. Including this precious video.  More than likely, our little 3 year old accidentally deleted them while playing with Blake's phone.  So very sad. I am praying that it is hidden somewhere in the phone's memory, but it is doubtful.  Needless to say, I have shed many a tear...  Big sigh.

Jane Claire had lots of visitors.  We tried to take a picture of everyone, but of course we missed a few folks.

LeAnne and Jane Claire...
Anne Claire and Jane Claire...
Me and my boy...
Jane Claire with a big bow on her head!
Cuddling with my girl...
Once we got to our postpartum room, they gave Jane Claire her first bath.  She was not a fan...
Except when they washed her hair.  She sure looked a lot like her brother when they were doing this part!
Washing her hair...
The Lipscomb Family...
Justin and Jane Claire...
Sweet cousins.  Harper and Jane Claire...
Gee Gee, Pop and Jane Claire...
I got her again!
Me, Jane Claire and Melissa...
Me, Blake, Lulu, GranBuddy and Jane Claire...

I have to agree with my CBS core group leader.  The HAPPIEST days are most definitely when babies come!!!  We are thrilled to have sweet Jane Claire here and healthy.  What a blessing she is to our family.  Praise the Lord!

No comments: