Saturday, February 4, 2012

Blessingway

I was treated to the most precious gift on Saturday, January 28th.  Two dear friends, Melissa and Joanna, hosted a Blessingway in honor of me and Baby girl...

What is a Blessing way, you ask?  Well, here is what was printed on the back of the invitation...

I had never been to a Blessingway until I helped give one for Joanna (with Melissa) last year.  For several years, I had heard Melissa talk about the Blessingway her sister gave her before Margaret was born.  It sounded like a lovely idea but I didn't really get until I helped host one myself.  

Most people were a little confused as to what they could expect that day.  We are so used to the way showers flow.  Cake, punch, nuts, games, gifts and mingling.  While the traditional shower is FULL of blessings for new parents-to-be, the Blessingway is an intimate and special way to speak blessings to a mom-in-waiting.  Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of sweet treats and tasty beverages to enjoy while mingling with all the guests!  But the majority of our time was spent listening to the beautiful words of family and friends who have been and are supporting me in bringing this Baby Girl into the world.  Everyone's bead(s) were different.  Some brought one.  Others brought four.  Some read meaningful scriptures.  Others wrote out prayers.  Each bead was representative of the person who brought it and the words they read to me.  It was seriously one of the most precious gifts I have ever received.

To give you a better idea of what I mean, here are a few pictures of each bead I received...


Each bead was beautiful and significant in it's on way.  But to see them all together...  Beautiful!  I will save that for the end!  In the meantime, I have to share all of the candid pictures from the day.  For the record, I was on the couch most of the time.  I just had to stand and take a few pictures with the gals!

Joanna, Me and Melissa...
The beautiful table and decorations...
A little closer...
Beautiful AND delish.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about the food!
I could hardly look at this table.  Sweet Finley and Caroline were a special part of the day.  Each of my children were remembered in a special way...
I could see all of these pictures hanging as soon as I walked in the door.  Needless to say, I couldn't look at those either!  Just seeing all of the pictures of my sweet boy and our little family made the ole eyes start watering!  So emotional.  The center picture was an ultrasound profile of Baby Girl...
Okay.  These are seriously the BEST cookies I have ever eaten.  I am still waiting for this recipe. Ahem... Not that I am really cooking right now.  I still need to be prepared for the future!
Sweet Margaret climbed right up in my lap for a picture.  She is just a doll...
Me and my sweet mom!
Jaclyn and me...
The two Danielles!
Me and LeAnne...
Lexi getting a few snuggles in with Malone...
Playgroup picture.  Kara, Anne Claire (she is a little more than just a play group member ;-)), Courtney, Jenny, Bethany, Me, Heidi and Kristen...
Anne Claire and me...
Veronica and me...
Several friends weren't able to make it that day but sent their beads and messages in the mail.  So special!  Unfortunately, a kidney stone kept Lucy from making the occasion.  She literally had surgery that morning!  But, we called her at the end of our time and she closed us in a prayer over the speaker phone.   You know your are in a good spiritual place when you can manage a beautiful prayer while under the influence of heavy narcotics!!! :-) It was a great close to a perfect day.

Finally, a picture of the BEAUTIFUL necklace Melissa created with all of the beads I was given that day...
I LOVE IT!!!  How special it will be to have this necklace with me on the day we meet our sweet girl.   What a beautiful reminder of all of the words spoken to me by friends and family I dearly love.  Friend and family that love her already!  What a special day...

2 comments:

Melita said...

Oh, Danielle! How sweet and meaningful that must have been for you! You look great, and I just wanted to tell you that I pray for you every day. I will continue to do so until that sweet little girl arrives!

The Gambills said...

Shed some serious tears while reading this post! What a special thing for your friends to do for you and your precious baby girl!