Sunday, June 28, 2009

What a gift

Exactly 6 months ago, it was a Sunday night. I had been on my feet all day long; something I had not done in nearly 18 weeks. Contractions were picking up and they were changing in intensity. A few other "changes" lead me to believe it was time to give Dr. B a call. "If you are going to call him you need to do it now, " Blake stated, concerned that we would wake him up if we called any later. So I did. He returned my call within minutes and told me to head to the hospital.

In my heart, I knew this was the real deal. Our time had come. We were having the "TLC moment" I had see so many times...the gathering of the bags, driving to the hospital, parking in the spot for active labor patients, changing into the gown, starting the IV. Unlike our past experiences, it was not a frantic scene. There was no hysteria. Tears flowed down my face. Yet, this time, they were full of joy. My worries were few, as I felt confident this little boy would thrive outside my womb. I would finally see the face of the one whose 2-D and 3-D images I had seen over and over again. I would see his chest rise and fall with each breath he took. I would feel the warmth of his skin as I held him in my arms. I would hear his precious cry and know that he would come with us.

I had dreamed of this moment time and time again, praying for a happy ending. But nothing could have prepared me for what happened nearly 12 hours from this moment, 6 months ago. No TV show. No book. No words. No song. No picture. Nothing can describe the unconditional love that filled my heart the second I looked into Crosby Fox Malone's blue eyes.

At this moment, 6 months ago, I was preparing to receive the most amazing gift I have ever been given. Oh, Heavenly Father, thank you for granting the desire of my heart...

3 comments:

Shellie Salza said...

Indeed, thank you Lord!!

Anonymous said...

praise you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!romans 12:2 "be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer"love, bettie

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Danielle, you have such a gift with words. It is almost as if the one reading it were right there with you, feeling what you are/were feeling. And it is so true, Crosby is such a gift and I know that you and Blake are truly blessed to have him.

Bree